PARCI LAB PUBLICATIONS
* denotes Graduate Student
80. Beauchamp MR, Liu Y,Dunlop WL, Ruissen GR, Schmader T, Harden SM, Wolf SA, Puterman E, Sheel AW, Rhodes RE. (in press, accepted November 24, 2020). Psychological mediators of exercise adherence among older adults in a group-based randomized trial. Health Psychology.
79. Balis L, Brown DT, Kesterson, Harden SM. (In Press, 2021). Move More, Sit Less: Applying the Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans to Extension programs. Journal of Human Sciences and Extension.
78. Balis L, Strayer III T, Harden SM. (In Press, 2021). First things first: Assessing needs, comfort, and role clarity for physical activity promotion. Journal of Human Sciences & Extension.
77. Houghtaling B, Serrano E, Chen S, Kraak VI, Harden SM, Davis GC, Misyak S. (2020 In Press) Food store owners' and managers' perceived costs to use marketing-mix and choice-architecture strategies to improve the dietary quality of low-income consumers' food and beverage purchases. Ecology of Food and Nutrition.
76.Steketee A*, Harden SM. (2020 in press) Mom Expo: Bridging the Gap Between Local Women and Perinatal Resources. The Journal of Perinatal Education.
75. Esakia A*, McCrickard DS, Harden SM, Horning M, Ramalingam NS*. (2020). Using Smartwatches to Facilitate a Group Dynamics-Based Statewide Physical Activity Intervention. International Journal of Human-Computer Studies. 142: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhcs.2020.102501
74. Harden SM, Steketee A*, Glasgow T, Glasgow RE, Estabrooks PA. (2020). Suggestions for advancing pragmatic solutions for dissemination: Potential updates to evidence-based repositories. American Journal of Health Promotion. 890117120934619. doi: 10.1177/0890117120934619
73. Steketee AM, Archibald TG, Harden SM. (2020). Adjust your own oxygen mask before helping those around you: An autoethnography of participatory research. Implementation Science. 15(70):
72. Harden SM, Balis L*, Strayer T III*, Carlson B, Prosch N, Lindsay A, Dzewaltowski DA, Estabrooks PA, Gunter KB. (2020). Strengths, Challenges, and Opportunities for Physical Activity Promotion in the Century-old National Cooperative Extension System. Journal of Human Sciences and Extension.
71. Ruissen GR, Liu Y, Schmader T, Lubans DR, Harden SM, Wolf SA, Rhodes RE, Estabrooks PA, Dunlop WL, Puterman E, Zumbo BD, Beauchamp MR. (2020) Effects of group-based exercise on flourishing and stigma consciousness among older adults: Findings from a randomized controlled trial. Applied Psychology Health and Well Being. doi: 10.1111/aphw.12197.
70. Bhuiyan N, Pritika S, Harden SM, Mama SK. (2019). Rural physical activity interventions in the United States: a systematic review and RE-AIM evaluation. International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity. 16:140.
69. Harden SM, Strayer TE 3rd, Smith ML, et al. (2019). National Working Group on the RE-AIM Planning and Evaluation Framework: Goals, Resources, and Future Directions. Front Public Health. 7:390. Published 2020 Jan 10. doi:10.3389/fpubh.2019.00390
68. VanDerBrink E, Boshra S, , Oursler KA, Winett R, Davy B. (2020). Adapting the “Resist Diabetes” Resistance Training Intervention for Veterans. Translational Journal of the American College of Sports Medicine.DOI: 10.1249/TJX.0000000000000118
67. Houghtaling B, Serrano E, Dobson L, Kraak VI, Harden SM, Davis G, Misyak S. (2020). Perceptions of Rural SNAP-Authorized Food Store Owners and Managers About Healthy Product Availability: Informing the Need to Improve Retailers’ Capacity to Market Products Aligned Dietary Guidance. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior. 52(2):171-179. doi: 10.1016/j.jneb.2019.09.023.
66. Wilson KE, Estabrooks PA, Harden SM, Taggart AE*, Almeida F, Schoepke L, McGuire T. (2020). The impact of pairing a wearable movement tracker with an online community weight loss intervention. Translational Journal of the American College of Sports Medicine. DOI: 10.1249/TJX.0000000000000116
65. Strayer III T*, Kennedy L, Balis L, Ramalingam N, Wilson M, Harden SM. (2019). Cooperative Extension gets moving, but how? Exploration of Extension Health Educators’ Sources and Channels for Information-Seeking Practices. American Journal of Health Promotion. Provisional acceptance. August 30, 2020. DOI: 10.1177/0890117119879606
64. Harden SM, Washburn L, Berg A, Pena-Purcell N, Norman-Burgdolf H, Franz N. (2019). A brief report on a facilitated approach to connect Cooperative Extension Southern Region state-level health specialists. Journal of Human Sciences and Extension. 8(1): 191-205.
63. Harden SM, Steketee A*, Kelliher R*, Mason K, Fitzwater Boyle N. (2019). Using a studio-academic partnership to advance public health within a pragmatic yoga setting. Journal of Primary Care and Community Health. doi.org/10.1177/2150132719874621
62. Selph King E, Moore CJ, Wilson HK, Harden SM, Davis M, Berg AC. (2019). Mixed methods evaluation of implementation and outcomes in a community-based cancer prevention intervention. BMC Public Health. 5;19(1):1051. doi: 10.1186/s12889-019-7315-y.
61. Houghtaling B, Serrano E, Dobson L, Chen S, Kraak VI, , Davis GC, Misyak S. (2019). Rural independent and corporate Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)-authorized store owners' and managers' perceived feasibility to implement marketing-mix and choice-architecture strategies to encourage healthy consumer purchases. . 1;9(5):888-898. doi: 10.1093/tbm/ibz091.
60. Balis L*, Harden SM. (2019). Scaling out a 4-H Healthy Meeting Initiative: Challenges in Implementation and Comprehensive Evaluation. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior. doi.org/10.1016/j.jneb.2019.05.288
59. Balis L*, Marshall C, Malcolm A, Harden SM. (2019). Goat Yoga: Preliminary Implications for Health, Agriculture, and 4-H. Journal of Extension. 57(3):3IAW4.
58. Strayer T III*, Balis LE*, Harden SM. (2019). Partnering for Successful Dissemination: How to improve public health with the National Cooperative Extension Service. Journal of Public Health Management and Practice. doi: 10.1097/PHH.0000000000001025
57. Evans-Hoeker E, Ramalingam NS*, Harden SM. (2019). Weight Management Perceptions and Clinical Practices among Gynecology Providers Caring for Reproductive Aged Patients. Obesity Science & Practice. 304-311. DOI: 10.1002/osp4.338
56. Glasgow RE, Harden SM, Gaglio B, Rabin BA, Smith ML, Porter GC, Ory MG, Estabrooks PA. (2019). RE-AIM Planning and Evaluation Framework: Adapting to New Science and Practice with a Twenty-Year Review. Frontiers in Public Health- Public Health Education and Promotion.
55. Estabrooks PA, Harden SM, Almeida FA, Hill JL, Johnson SB, Greenawald MH. (2019). Using Integrated Research-Practice Partnerships to Move Evidence-Based Principles Into Practice. Exercise and Sport Sciences Review. doi: 10.1249/JES.0000000000000194
54. Balis L*, Sowatey G, Ansong-Gyimah K, Ofori E, Harden SM. (2019). Older Ghanaian adults’ perceptions of physical activity: an exploratory, mixed methods study. BMC Geriatrics. 19:85.
53. Balis LE*, John DH, Harden SM. (2019). Beyond Evaluation: Using the RE-AIM Framework for Program Planning in Extension. Journal of Extension. 57(2). 2TOT1.
52. Leach H, Mama S, Harden SM. (2019). Group-based exercise interventions for increasing physical activity in cancer survivors: a systematic review of face-to-face randomized and non-randomized trials. Supportive Care in Cancer.
51. Ramalingam NS*, Strayer III T*, Breig SA*, Harden SM. (2019). How Are Community Health Workers Trained to Deliver Physical Activity to Adults?—A Scoping Review. Translational Journal of the American College of Sports Medicine. 4(6); 34-44. doi: 10.1249/TJX.0000000000000081
50. Harden SM, Ramalingam NS*, Breig SA*, Estabrooks PA. (2019). Walk this Way: Our Perspective on Challenges and Opportunities for Extension Statewide Walking Promotion Programs. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior. pii: S1499-4046(19)30001-6. doi: 10.1016/j.jneb.2018.12.010.
49. Houghtaling B, Serrano E, Kraak VI, Harden SM, Davis GC, Misyak S. (2019). A Systematic Review of Factors that Influence Food Store Owner and Manager Decision Making and Ability or Willingness to Use Choice Architecture and Marketing Mix Strategies to Encourage Healthy Consumer Purchases in the United States, 2005-2017. International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity. 16:5.
48. Leach HJ, Covington KR, Voss C, Lebreton KA, Harden SM, Schuster SR. (2019). Effect of Group Dynamics-Based Exercise Versus Personal Training in Breast Cancer Survivors. Oncology Nursing Forum. Oncol Nurs Forum. 1;46(2):185-197. doi: 10.1188/19.ONF.185-197.
47. Balis LE*, Strayer TE*, Ramalingam NS*, Harden SM. (2018) Beginning with the End in Mind: Contextual Considerations for Scaling-Out a Community-Based Intervention. Frontiers in Public Health 6:357. doi: 10.3389/fpubh.2018.00357.
46. Bennett E, Hurd Clarke L, Wolf S, Dunlop WL, Harden SM, Liu Y, Estabrooks PA, Rhodes RE, Beauchamp MR. (2018) Older adults’ experiences of group-based physical activity: A qualitative study from the GOAL randomized controlled trial. Psychology of Sport & Exercise. 39, 184 – 192.
45. Harden SM, Lindsay A, Gunter K. (2018) How to Leverage Your State’s Land Grant Extension System: Partnering to Promote Physical Activity. Translational Journal of the American College of Sports Medicine. 3(15): 113-118.
44. Harden SM, Smith ML, Ory MG, Smith-Ray RL, Estabrooks PA, Glasgow RE. (2018). RE-AIM in clinical, community, and corporate settings: Perspectives, strategies, and recommendations to enhance public health impact. Frontiers in Public Health – Public Health Education and Promotion.
43. Wilson ML,* Strayer TE III*, Davis R, Harden SM. (2018). Informed adaptations of a strength-training program through a research-practice partnership. Frontiers in Public Health. 6:58.
42. Burke SM, Tomasone JR, Scime NV, Ma JK, Harden SM, Wolfe DL, and The SCIRE Research Team. (2018). Physical activity self-management interventions for adults with spinal cord injury: Part 2 – Exploring the generalizability of findings from research to practice. Psychology of Sport and Exercise. 49(1).
41. Wilson ML*, Strayer T III*, Davis R, Harden SM. (2018). Use of an integrated research-practice partnership to improve outcomes of a community-based strength-training program for older adults: Reach and Effect of Lifelong Improvements through Fitness Together (LIFT). International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. 31;15(2). pii: E237. doi: 10.3390/ijerph15020237.
40. Beauchamp MR, Dunlop WL, Ruissen GE, Estabrooks PA, Harden SM, Wolf SA, Liu Y, Schmader T, Puterman E, Sheel AW, Rhodes RE. (2018). GrOup based physical Activity for oLder adults (GOAL) randomized controlled trial: Exercise adherence outcomes. Health Psychology. 37(5):451-461. doi: 10.1037/hea0000615.
39. Balis L*, Strayer III T*, Ramalingam NS*, Wilson M*, Harden SM. (2018). Open-Access Physical Activity Programs for Older Adults: A Pragmatic and Systematic Review. The Gerontologist. https://doi.org/10.1093/geront/gnx195
38. Harden SM, Ramalingam NS*, Wilson KE, Evans-Hoeker E. (2017). Informing the development and uptake of a weight management intervention for preconception: a mixed-methods investigation of patient and provider perceptions. BMC Obesity. 4:8. doi:10.1186/s40608-017-0144-6.
37. Everette A*, Brooks A, Ramalingam NS*, Powell T, Eaton R, Serrano E, Harden SM. (2017). An Integrated Research–Practice Partnership for Physical Activity Promotion in a Statewide Program. Translational Journal of the American College of Sports Medicine. 2(11), 57-67.
36. Esakia A*, Harden SM, McCrickard DS, & Horning M. (2017). FitAware: Channeling Group Dynamics Strategies with Smartwatches in a Physical Activity Intervention. In Proceedings of the 2017 CHI Conference Extended Abstracts on Human Factors in Computing Systems (pp. 2551-2559). ACM.
NOTE: In the field of computer science, full papers published in the proceedings of the top-ranked, highly selective conferences, are viewed as equally (if not more) important than journal articles. These are highly peer-reviewed (with typical acceptance rates ranging from 15% to 30%) and are considered archival publications.
35. Wilson KE, Harden SM, Taggart AE*, Schoepke L, Mcguire T, Estabrooks PA. (2017). Adding an Activity Tracker to An Ongoing Community-based Weight-loss Program: Preliminary Results of an RCT. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise. 49(5S), 493-494.
34. Estabrooks PA, Wilson KE, McGuire TJ, Harden SM, Ramalingam NS*, Schoepke L., ... & Bayer AL. (2017). A Quasi-Experiment to Assess the Impact of a Scalable, Community-Based Weight Loss Program: Combining Reach, Effectiveness, And Cost. Journal of General Internal Medicine. 32(1), 24-31. doi: 10.1007/s11606-016-3971-0
33. Harden SM, Lindsay A, Everette A*, & Gunter KB. (2016). Systematic Review of Physical Activity Objectives in Extension Strategic Plans: Findings and Implications for Improved Public Health Impact. Journal of Extension 54(5), n5.
32. Whitehead P, Ramalingam NS*, Carter K, Katz K, Harden SM. (2016). Nurse practitioners' perspectives on the Preferences About Serious Illness instrument. Journal of Hospice and Palliative Nursing. 18(4).
31. Pinard CA, Shanks CB, Harden SM, & Yaroch AL. (2016). An integrative literature review of small food store research across urban and rural communities in the US. Preventive Medicine Reports. 3, 324-332.
30. Hill J, Wilson K, Harden SM, Almeida FA, Linnan L, Estabrooks PA. (2016). Does worksite social capital enhance retention into a worksite weight-loss programme?. Obesity Science & Practice. DOI: 10.1002/osp4.31.
29. Harden SM, Johnson SB, Almeida FA, Estabrooks PA. (2016). Improving physical activity program adoption using integrated research-practice partnerships: an effectiveness implementation trial. Translational Behavioral Medicine: Practice, Policy and Research. 10.1007/s13142-015-0380-6.
28. Johnson SB, Harden SM, Estabrooks PA (2016). Uptake of evidence-based physical activity programs: comparing perceptions of adopters and nonadopters. Translational Behavioral Medicine: Practice, Policy and Research. DOI:10.1007/s13142-015-0371-7
27. McEwan D, Harden SM, Zumbo BD, Sylvester BD, Kaulius M, Ruissen GR, Dowd AJ, Beauchamp MR. (2016). The effectiveness of multi-component goal setting interventions for changing physical activity behaviour: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Health Psychology Review. 13:1-22.
26. Harden SM, Gaglio B, Shoup JA, Kinney KA, Johnson SB, Brito F, Blackman KCA, Zoellner JM, Hill JL, Almeida F, Glasgow RE, Estabrooks PA. (2015). Fidelity to and comparative results across behavioral interventions evaluated through the RE-AIM framework: A systematic review. Systematic Reviews. 4(1):155. DOI: 10.1186/s13643-015-0141-0.
25. Harden SM, McEwan D, Sylvester BD, Ruissen G, Kaulius M, Burke SM, Estabrooks PA, Beauchamp, MR. (2015). Understanding for whom, under what conditions, and how group based physical activity interventions are successful: A realist review. BMC Public Health.15(1):958. DOI: 10.1186/s12889-015-2270-8.
24. Wilson KE, Harden SM, Almeida FA, You W, Hill JL, Goessl C, & Estabrooks PA. (2016). Brief self-efficacy scales for use in weight-loss trials: Preliminary evidence of validity. Psychological assessment. 28(10), 1255.
23. Dowd AJ, Harden SM, Beauchamp MR. (2015). Supporting Healthy Lifestyles Among Adolescent Girls: Mentors’ Perceptions. American Journal of Health Behavior. 39(5):698-708. DOI: 10.5993/AJHB.39.5.11.
22. Beauchamp MR, Harden SM, Wolf SA, Rhodes RE, Liu Y, Dunlop W, Schmader T, Sheel AW, Zumbo BD, Estabrooks PA. (2015). GrOup based physical Activity for oLder adults (GOAL) randomized controlled trial: Study protocol. BMC Public Health. DOI:10.1186/s12889-015-1909-9
21. Harden SM, You W, Allen K, Almeida FA, Hill JL, Linnan L, Estabrooks PA. (2015). Does successful weight-loss in an internet-based worksite weight loss programs improve employee presenteeism and absenteeism? Health Education and Behavior. DOI: 10.1177/1090198115578751
20. Byker CB & Harden SM. (2015). Utilizing the RE-AIM Framework to Evaluate the Scope of a Weekend Food Assistance Program for Children in Montana. American Journal of Health Promotion.
19. Almeida FA, You W, Harden SM, Allen KC, Davy BM, Glasgow RE, Hill JL, Linnan LA, Wall SS, Yenerall J, Zoellner, JM, Estabrooks PA. (2015). Effectiveness of a Worksite-based Weight Loss Randomized Controlled Trial: The WORKSITE Study. Obesity. DOI: 10.1002/oby.20899.
18. Zoellner J, You W, Almeida F, Allen KCA, Harden SM, Glasgow RE, Linnan L, Hill J, Estabrooks P. (2015). The Influence of Health Literacy on Reach, Retention, and Success in a Worksite Weight Loss Program. American Journal of Health Promotion. doi: 10.1177/0890117116639558.
17. Dowd AJ, Harden SM, Beauchamp MR. (2015). Adolescent girls' experiences in the Go Girls! group-based lifestyle mentoring program. American Journal of Health Behavior. 39(2), 266-275.
16. Pinard CA, Byker C, Harden SM, Carpenter LR, Serrano EL, Schober DJ, Yaroch AL. (2014). Influences on Food Away From Home Feeding Practices among English and Spanish Speaking Parent-Child Dyads. Journal of Child and Family Studies. DOI: 10.1007/s10826-014-0011-8.
15. Harden SM, Estabrooks PA, Mama S, Lee RE. (2014). Longitudinal analysis of minority women’s perceptions of cohesion: the role of cooperation, communication, and competition. International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity. 11:57 DOI:10.1186/1479-5868-11-57.
14. Harden SM, Fanning J, Motl R, McAuley E, Estabrooks PA. (2014). Determining the reach of a home-based physical activity program for older adults within the context of a randomized controlled trial. Health Education Research. 29(5):861-9. DOI: 10.1093/her/cyu049. EPub 2014 Aug 13.
13. Galaviz K, Harden SM, Almeida F, Allen KC, Berrey M, Mama S, Smith E, Lee RE & Estabrooks PA. (2014). Physical activity promotion in Hispanic populations: A systematic review on issues of internal and external validity. International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity. 11:77 DOI:10.1186/1479-5868-11-77
12. Harden SM, Beauchamp MR, Pitts BH, Nault EM, Davy B, You W, Weiss P, Estabrooks PA. (2014). Group-Based Lifestyle Sessions for Gestational Weight Gain Management: A mixed method approach. American Journal of Health Behavior. 38(4):560-9. DOI:10.5993/AJHB.38.4.9.
11. Harden SM, Almeida FA, You W, Davis GC, & Estabrooks PA. (2014). Implementation of a community physical activity program: Time requirements and delivery as intended. Revista Familia, Ciclos de Vida e Saude no Contexto Social (online). 2(2):70-7.
10. Sharma A, Dee D, Harden SM. (2014). Adherence to breastfeeding guidelines and maternal weight 6 years after delivery. Pediatrics (Supplement).134 Suppl 1:S42-9. DOI:10.1542/peds.2014-0646H.
9. Almeida FA, Wall SS, You W, Harden SM, Hill JL, Krippendorf BE, Estabrooks PA. (2014). The association between worksite physical environment and employee nutrition, and physical activity behavior and weight status. J Occup Environ Health. 56(7):779-84. DOI: 10.1097/JOM.0000000000000180.
8. Davy B, You W, Almeida G, Wall S, Harden SM, Comber D, Estabrooks P. (2014). Impact of Individual and Worksite Environmental Factors on Water and Sugar-Sweetened Beverage Consumption Among Overweight Employees. Preventing Chronic Disease. 11:130207. doi: 10.5888/pcd11.130207.
7. Davy BM, Potter KL, Dennis Park EA, Harden SM, Hill J, Halliday TM, Estabsooks PA. (2013) Feasibility, effectiveness, and perceptions of an Internet- and incentive-based behavioral weight loss intervention for overweight and obese college freshmen: A mixed methods approach. Open Journal of Preventive Medicine. 3(7):429-440.
6. Harden SM, Burke SM, Haile AM, Estabrooks PA. (2013). Generalizing the findings from Group Dynamics-Based Physical Activity Research to Practice Settings: What do we know? Evaluation and the Health Professions. 38(1):3-14. DOI: 10.1177/0163278713488117. Epub 2013 May 28.
5. Harden SM, Allen K, Chau C, Parks S, Zanko A. (2012). Experiential Learning in Graduate Education: Development, Delivery, and Analysis of an Evidence-Based Intervention. Creative Education. 3: 649-657. DOI: 10.4236/ce.2012.35095.
4. Zoellner J, Krzeski E, Harden SM, Cook E, Allen K, Estabrooks PA. (2012). Qualitative application of the Theory of Planned Behavior to understand beverage behaviors among adults. Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. 112(11):1774-84.
3. Estabrooks PA, Harden SM, Burke SM (2012). Group Dynamics in Physical Activity Promotion: What works? Social and Personality Psychology Compass. 6:18-40.
2. Beauchamp M, Dunlop W, Downey SM, Estabrooks PA. (2012). First impressions count: Perceptions of surface-level and deep-level similarity within postnatal exercise classes and implications for program adherence. Journal of Health Psychology. 17:87-99.
1. Downey SM, Wages J, Jackson SF, Estabrooks PA (2012). Adoption decisions and implementation of a community-based physical activity program A mixed methods study. Health Promotion Practice. 13(2), 175-182. doi.org/10.1177/1524839910380155
We thank the agencies and institutions that provide funding and allow us to push the boundaries of science.
Title: Translational Obesity Undergraduate Research Scholars (TOURS) (GRANT12551118)
Members: Good (VT), Harden (VT), Evans-Hoeker (VT Carilion School of Medicine)
Date: September 1, 2018--June 30, 2023
Title: Building communities of fitness: Sensing and sharing toward better health
Members: McCrickard (VT), Harden (VT), Horning (VT)
Date: July 1 2016-June 30, 2017
Title: Reducing multidisciplinary interruptions to improve the patient experience of nighttime sleep
Members: Huddleston (Carilion Clinic), Harden (VT)
Date: March 1 2016-December 30, 2017
Title: Group dynamics interventions for rural cancer survivors
Members: Leach (CSU), Harden (VT), Mama (PSU), Bellows (CC), Fisbeck
Date: Summer 2016
Title: Integrating physical activity programming in University of Wyoming Extension.
Members: Harden (VT), Balis (UWYO)
Date: Fall 2017